Harts Bluff ISD, as we know it, started in the school year of 1959-1960. It was the result of the consolidation of two school districts, the Nevill's Chapel Common School District and the Oak Grove Common School District. They consolidated because Oak Grove school enrollment became too small to continue classes. They picked a location that was halfway between the two original buildings and built a new school building. It was named Harts Bluff because of its location to the Harts Bluff Farm to Market Road. A few years later, the Midway School District consolidated with them and it became a three-way school consolidation District.